In response to a lack of source works for wide-ranging approaches to teaching poetry, award-winning poet Joshua Marie Wilkinson has gathered ninety-nine micro-essays for poets, critics, and scholars who teach and for students who wish to learn about the many ways poets think about how a poem comes alive from withinand beyonda classroom. Not narrowly concerned with how to read poetry or how to write poetry, by virtue of their central concern with teaching poetry, the essays in this fresh and innovative volume address both reading and writing and give teachers and students useful tools for the classroom and beyond. Divided into four sectionsReflections / Poetics, Exercises / Praxis, New Approaches to Poetry Courses and Methodology, and Talks / DirectivesPoets on Teaching provides practical, intelligent advice. Reflections / Poetics encompasses the most expansive approaches to teaching poetry, where poets reflect variously on what teachers can cultivate in their classrooms. Exercises / Praxis consists of hands-on approaches to reading and, especially, writing poems. New Approaches to Poetry Courses and Methodology features essays on rethinking specific courses, offering new ideas for course design and pedagogy. Talks / Directives contains a series of more informal and conversational discussions geared toward becoming a stronger reader, writer, teacher, and student of poetry. Poets on Teaching will be required reading for new and experienced teachers alike.
- Dewey Decimal: 808.107
- Physical Description: 6.1"x9.2"x0.9"; 1.1 lb; 350 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2010-08-28
- Literature & Fiction -- History & Criticism -- Criticism & Theory
- Nonfiction -- Education
- Reference -- Writing
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books