Frames United States history in visits to 20 significant historic places, from the bustling ancient North American city of Cahokia and colonial battlefields of Saratoga and Gettysburg to Ellis Island and an early 1950s suburban tract house.
Includes bibliographical references and index. Cahokia; city of the Great Sun (1200) -- Ozette; a whaling village (1490) -- Pecos; Pueblo and Mission (1627) -- New Plymouth; A home for the pilgrims (1627) -- Charlestown; a colonial city (1739) -- Fort Mose; fortress of freedom (1759) -- Boonesborough; a frontier fort (1776) -- Saratoga; the turning point (1777) -- Philadelphia; Ben Franklin's city (1787) -- Taos; at the Hacienda (1823) -- Fort Laramie; a welcome on the Oregon Trail (1849) -- Lowell; mill town (1850) -- Frogmore; a Louisiana plantation (1855) -- Gettysburg; day of decision (1863) -- Abilene; cattle town (1872) -- Gage County; threshing time (1888) -- Chicago; Christmas at the mansion (1893) -- Ellis Island; doorway to America (1901) -- New York; tenement life (1916) -- Lakewood; the city as new as tomorrow (1953).
- LCC: E179.5
- Dewey Decimal: 911/.73
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 48 p. : col. ill., col. maps ; 25 x 29 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk.)
- Children's atlases
- United States -- Historical geography -- Juvenile literature
- United States -- Historical geography -- Maps for children
- United States -- History -- Miscellanea -- Juvenile literature
- United States -- History -- Miscellanea
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books