Picasso and the Circus: Fin-de-Siecle Paris and the Suite de Saltimbanques
Focusing on prints (etchings, drypoints, color lithographs), Picasso and the Circus presents a pivotal moment in Picasso's early career, between his Blue and Rose Periods, when he was increasingly drawn to the subject of the circus in Paris. The book analyzes the circus and related spectacles in fin-de-siecle Paris, and how they were interpreted by print arts of the era, including Jules Cheret, Henri-Gabriel Ibels, Henri Gray, Edgar Chahine, and Richard Ranft. It then considers Pablo Picasso's Suite de Saltimbanques (1904-6), an early and highly important series of etchings and drypoints related primarily to acrobats (saltimbanques). The popularity of the circus in late 19th-and early 20th-century Paris certainly resonates in the works of many artists. From sensational--and sensationalized--feats of strength and prowess to moving depictions of poverty and the life of the outcast, these prints not only expand our understanding of the period, they also represent some of Picasso's finest work. Phillip J. Earenfight is director of the Trout Gallery, Dickinson College, Carlisle, Penn.
- Dewey Decimal: 758.97913094409034
- Physical Description: 8.8"x10.7"x0.3"; 0.9 lb; 72 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2011-12-09
- Arts & Photography -- Individual Artists
- Arts & Photography -- History & Criticism
- Arts & Photography -- Other Media -- Prints
- Arts & Photography -- Painting
- Arts & Photography -- Schools, Periods & Styles -- Modern
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books