Penelope voyages: women and travel in the British literary tradition
Includes bibliographical references (p. -260) and index. Introduction: Hermes/Penelope -- 1. Exilic Wanderings: Cavendish and Burney -- 2. Composing the Self in Letters: Wollstonecraft's Letters Written during a Short Residence in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark -- 3. "The African Wanderers": Kingsley and Lee -- 4. Woolf's Voyages Out: The Voyage Out and Orlando -- 5. Postmodern "Vessels of Conception": Brooke-Rose and Brophy -- Conclusion: "Questions of Travel"
- LCC: PR778
- Dewey Decimal: 820.9/355
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xiv, 268 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (alk. paper)
- Travelers' writings, English -- Women authors -- History and criticism
- Women travelers -- Great Britain -- Biography -- History and criticism
- English prose literature -- Women authors -- History and criticism
- Women and literature -- Great Britain -- Historiography
- Voyages and travels -- Historiography
- British -- Travel -- Historiography
- Women -- Travel -- Historiography
- Travel in literature
Buying This Book
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books