Occidentalism is an investigation of images of Western cultural identity. Edward Said's Orientalism revolutionized Western understanding of non-Western cultures by showing how Western projected images shaped the Occidental view of the Orient, but those who follow Said have not until now reflected that understanding back onto Western societies. This volume shows how images of the West shape people's conceptions of themselves and are in turn shaped by members of Western and non-Western societies alike. The contributors describe and explicate these images in a variety of areas, from Western academic writing to popular Western culture, from societies within and outside the West, to show how power and conflict shape such conceptions.
Includes bibliographical references and index. 1. Cargoism and Occidentalism / Lamont Lindstrom --2. The Kabyle and the French: Occidentalism in Bourdieu's Theory of Practice / Deborah Reed-Danahay --3. Maussian Occidentalism: Gift and Commodity Systems / James G. Carrier -- 4. Occidentalism as a Cottage Industry: Representing the Autochthonous 'Other' in British and Irish Rural Studies / Jane Nadel-Klein --5. Imaging the Other in Japanese Advertising Campaigns / Millie R. Creighton -- 6. Duelling Currencies in East New Britain: The Construction of Shell Money as National Cultural Property / Deborah B. Gewertz and Frederick K. Errington -- 7. The Colonial, the Imperial, and the Creation of the 'European' in Southern Africa / Robert Thornton -- 8. Hellenism and Occidentalism: The Permutations of Performance in Greek Bourgeois Identity / Michael Herzfeld -- 9. Occidentalism in the East: The Uses of the West in the Politics and Anthropology of South Asia / Jonathan Spencer.
- LCC: E184
- Dewey Decimal: 909/.09821/0072
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: x, 268 p. ; 22 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- Ethnology -- United States
- Civilization, Western -- Philosophy
- Americans -- Public opinion
- Public opinion -- United States
- United States -- Social life and customs
Buying This Book
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books