Nelson and the Nile: The Naval War Against Bonaparte 1798
In this book, Brian Lavery places the Battle of the Nile in its full strategic context, showing the interplay of military and political factors that sent Nelson's squadron into the Mediterranean in pursuit of the powerful French invasion fleet. This was also Nelson's first independent fleet command, and the author shows the development of his command style and the forging of the esprit de corps which was later to triumph at Trafalgar. It also provides a fascinating and detailed insight into the nature and conditions of naval war in the Age of Sail, from the strain felt by fleet commanders, isolated from higher authority and starved of information of the enemy, to the daily lives of the sailors and the tactics used in battle. All these strands of the story are brought seamlessly together to present the most thorough, detailed, fascinating and vivid account of the most decisive naval campaign of the French Revolutionary Wars.
- Physical Description: 6.9"x9.6"x1.1"; 318 pages; 2.0 lb
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 1998-05-01
- Amazon.com -- History -- Middle East -- Egypt
- Amazon.com -- History -- Military -- Naval
- Amazon.com -- History -- World -- Transportation -- Ships -- General
- Amazon.com -- History -- Military Science
- Amazon.com -- Science -- Technology -- History of Technology
- Amazon.com -- History -- Europe -- England -- General
- Amazon.com -- History -- Africa -- Egypt -- General
- Amazon.com -- History -- Military -- Napoleonic Wars -- General
- Amazon.com -- History -- Military -- Napoleonic Wars -- Napoleon
- Amazon.com -- History -- Military -- Napoleonic Wars -- Naval
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books