This is the first book in the Modes of Writing series which aims to bring a wide range of writing to the attention of students aged 14 and upwards. The three anthologies are Narratives, Arguments and Descriptions. Narratives is a collection of stories, anecdotes, tales, comic strips, myths, fables and letters, all of which depend on the linking of events and states of mind in a sequence. Arguments includes everything from letters by Groucho Marx to a letter from a parent to a headteacher about uniforms; from cartoons to the beginning of novels; from advertisements to travel writing. Descriptions covers the range of writing which attempts to stay close to things in the world by describing, narrating, commenting. There is a degree of overlap between the volumes which is brought out in the activities which accompany each of the texts in the anthologies. By looking at modes of writing, rather than at themes or authors, the series draws attention to types of language. In this way each volume promotes work on the differing possibilities open to the writer in lively, productive and entertaining ways.
- Dewey Decimal: 372
- Physical Description: 7.5"x9.7"x0.3"; 0.7 lb; 128 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 1991-12-12
- Children's Books -- Reference & Nonfiction -- Language Arts
- Nonfiction -- Education
- Reference -- Writing -- Nonfiction
- Professional & Technical -- Education -- Specific Skills -- Humanities
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books