Mystery in children's literature: from the rational to the supernatural
Includes bibliographical references and index. Mystery in children's literature from the rational to the supernatural : an introduction / Adrienne E. Gavin and Christopher Routledge -- 'so great and beautiful that I cannot write them' : religious mystery and children's literature / Pat Pinsent -- Nancy's ancestors : the mystery of imaginative female power in The Secret Garden and A Little Princess / Mary Jeannette Moran -- Juvenile detective and social class : Mark Twain, Scouting for Girls, and the Nancy Drew mysteries / Troy Boone -- Children's detective fiction and the 'perfect crime' of adulthood / Christopher Routledge -- Digging up the family plot : secrets, mystery, and the Blytonesque / David Rudd -- Plotting the past : the detective as historian in the novels of Philippa Pearce / Valerie Krips -- Secret development of a girl writer : Louise Fitzhugh's Harriet the Spy / Robin Amelia Morris -- Apparition and apprehension : supernatural mystery and emergent womanhood in Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, and novels by Margaret Mahy / Adrienne E. Gavin. Possessed by the beast : subjectivity and agency in Pictures in the Dark and Foxspell / Clare Bradford -- 'There are worse things than ghosts' : reworking horror chronotopes in Australian children's fiction / John Stephens and Robyn McCallum -- Mysteries of postmodern epistemology : Stratemeyer, Stine, and contemporary mystery for children / Karen Coats -- Harry Potter and the mystery of ordinary life / Christopher Routledge -- Enigma's variation : the puzzling mysteries of Avi, Ellen Raskin, Diana Wynne Jones, and Chris Van Allsburg / Adrienne E. Gavin.
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xiii, 228 p. ; 23 cm.
- Children's stories, English -- History and criticism
- English fiction -- 20th century -- History and criticism
- American fiction -- 20th century -- History and criticism
- Children's stories, American -- History and criticism
- Detective and mystery stories -- History and criticism
- Horror tales -- History and criticism
- Supernatural in literature
- Rationalism in literature
- Mystery in literature
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books