Music of the first nations: tradition and innovation in native North America
From the Publisher: This unique anthology presents a wide variety of approaches to an ethnomusicology of Inuit and Native North American musical expression. Contributors include Native and non-Native scholars who provide erudite and illuminating perspectives on aboriginal culture, incorporating both traditional practices and contemporary musical influences. Gathering scholarship on a realm of intense interest but little previous publication, this collection promises to revitalize the study of Native music in North America, an area of ethnomusicology that stands to benefit greatly from these scholars' cooperative, community-oriented methods.
Includes bibliographical references and index. Iglulik Inuit drum-dance songs /Paula Conlon --Musical expressions of the Dene : dogrib love and land songs /Lucy Lafferty and Elaine Keillor --The story of dirty face : power and song in western Washington Coast Salish myth narratives /Laurel Sercombe --Drum, songs, vibrations : conversations with a Passamaquoddy traditional singer /Franziska von Rosen (introduction by Tara Browner) --Identity, retention, and survival : contexts for the performance of native Choctaw music /David E. Draper --"This is our dance" : the fire dance of the Fort Sill Chiricahua Warm Springs Apache /T. Christopher Aplin --The creative power and style of ghost dance songs /Judith Vander --An acoustic geography of intertribal pow-wow songs /Tara Browner --Singing Indian country /David W. Samuels.
- LCC: ML3557
- Dewey Decimal: 781.62/97
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 166 p. : ill., maps, music ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (cloth : alk. paper)
- Entertainment -- Music -- Musical Genres -- Ethnic & International -- Ethnomusicology
- Entertainment -- Music -- Musical Genres -- Folk & Traditional
- Entertainment -- Music -- Theory, Composition & Performance -- Theory
- Entertainment -- Music -- General
- Entertainment -- Music -- General AAS
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Anthropology -- Cultural
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology -- General AAS
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Special Groups -- Ethnic Studies
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Special Groups -- Native American Studies
- Ethnomusicology -- United States -- History
- Indian dance -- North America
- Indians of North America -- Music -- History and criticism
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books