"In Matthew and Empire, Warren Carter argues that Matthew's Gospel protests Roman imperialism by asserting that God's purposes and will are performed not by the empire and emperor but by Jesus and his community of disciples. Carter makes the claim for reading Matthew this way against the almost exclusive emphasis on the relationship with the synagogue that has long characterized Matthean scholarship. He established Matthew's imperial context by examining Roman imperial ideology and material presence in Anitoch, the traditional provenance for Matthew. Carter argues that Matthean Christology, which presents Jesus as God's agent, is shaped by claims - and protests against those claims - that the emperor and the empire are God's agents. He pays particular attention to the Gospel's central irony, namely that in depicting God's ways and purposes, the Gospel employs the very imperial framework that it resists. Matthew and Empire challenges traditional readings of Matthew and encourage fresh perspectives in Matthean scholarship."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 181-241) and indexes.
- LCC: BS2575.6
- Dewey Decimal: 226.2/06/7
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: v, 249 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (alk. paper)
- Bible. -- N.T. -- Matthew -- Criticism, interpretation, etc
- Rome in the Bible
- Bible -- N.T. -- Matthew -- Criticism, interpretation, etc
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books