Includes bibliographical references (p. -223) and index. Introduction -- Flesh, two heads : debating the biblical blueprint for marriage in the seventeenth and twentieth centuries -- Battered women, petty traitors, and the legacy of coverture -- Fighting for the breeches, sharing the rod : spouses, servants, and the struggle for equality -- How a maiden keeps her head : Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth I, and the perils of marriage -- Afterword.
- LCC: HQ503
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 235 p. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (alk. paper)
- Marriage -- History
- Marriage -- England -- History
- Marriage -- United States -- History
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Christianity -- History
- Marital violence
- Abused wives
- Sex role -- History
- Sex discrimination against women -- History
- Equality -- History
- Spouse Abuse -- history
- Gender identity
- Great Britain
- History, Modern 1601
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books