The amazing life of Margaret of York, the woman who tried to overthrow the Tudors.Reared in a dangerous and unpredictable world Margaret of York, sister of Richard III, would become the standard bearer of the House of York and 'The menace of the Tudors'. This alluring and resourceful women was Henry VII's 'diabolical duchess'. Safe across the Channel in modern-day Belgium and supported by the Emperor she sent Lambert Simnel and Perkin Warbeck with thousands of troops to England to avenge the destruction of her brother and of the House of York. Both rebellions shook the new Tudor dynasty to the core.As the duchess and wife of the wealthiest ruler in Western Europe, Margaret was at the centre of a glittering court and became the patron of William Caxton. It was at her command that he printed the first book in English. Her marriage to Charles, the dour, war-mad Duke of Burgundy, had been the talk of Europe. John Paston, who was among the awe struck guests, reported in the famous Paston Letters that there had been nothing like it since King Arthur' court. Yet within a decade Charles was dead, his corpse frozen on the battlefield and within another decade her own family had been destroyed in England. Childless and in a foreign land Margaret showed the same energetic and cautious spirit as her great-grand-niece Elizabeth I, surviving riots, rebellions and plots. In spite of all her efforts, the Tudors were still on the throne but Margaret, unlike the Yorkist kings, was a great survivor.
- Dewey Decimal: 944.4027092
- Physical Description: 6.8"x9.8"x0.8"; 1.5 lb; 208 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2009-07
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Ethnic & National -- Irish
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Leaders & Notable People -- Military -- General
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Leaders & Notable People -- Military -- General AAS
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Leaders & Notable People -- Political
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Leaders & Notable People -- Royalty -- General
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Leaders & Notable People -- Royalty -- General AAS
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Professionals & Academics -- Military & Spies
- Biographies & Memoirs -- General
- Children's Books -- People & Places -- Biographies -- Historical
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books