Maps and Civilization: Cartography in Culture and Society
In this concise introduction to the history of cartography, Norman J. W. Thrower charts the intimate links between maps and history from antiquity to the present day. A wealth of illustrations, including the oldest known map and contemporary examples made using Geographical Information Systems (GIS), illuminate the many ways in which various human cultures have interpreted spatial relationships.The third edition of Maps and Civilization incorporates numerous revisions, features new material throughout the book, and includes a new alphabetized bibliography. Praise for previous editions of Maps.
Contents; Preface; One: Introduction: Maps of Preliterate Peoples; Two: Maps of Classical Antiquity; Three: Early Maps of East and South Asia; Four: Cartography in Europe and Islam in the Middle Ages; Five: The Rediscovery of Ptolemy and Cartography in Renaissance Europe; Six: Cartography in the Scientific Revolution and the Englightment; Seven: Diversification and Development in the Nineteenth Century; Eight: Modern Cartography: Official and Quasi-Official Maps; Nine: Modern Cartography: Private and Institutional Maps; Appendix A: Selected Map Projections; Appendix B: Short List of Isograms. Appendix C: GlossaryNotes; Illustration Sources; Bibliography; Index; Electronic reproduction.Available via World Wide Web.
- LCC: GA201
- Dewey Decimal: 526.09
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 368 p.
- Edition Info: (electronic bk.)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books