"Here, collected for the first time in one edition, are Mary Cantwell's three beautifully etched and unflinchingly honest memoirs. Cantwell's first book, American Girl, evoked the delights of her youth in a small New England town; her second, Manhattan, When I Was Young, told of her blossoming magazine career in New York's glory years of the 1950s, her marriage and her children, and that marriage's decline. Speaking with Strangers finds Cantwell alone, a single mother struggling in the big city, bereft of her husband but bolstered by friends, thriving in her career yet personally sad."--BOOK JACKET.
First work originally published: New York : Random House, 1992. 2nd work originally published: Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1995. 3rd work originally published: Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1998. American girl -- Manhattan, when I was young -- Speaking with strangers.
- LCC: F128.54
- Dewey Decimal: 974.5/5042/092
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 440 p. ; 22 cm.
- Cantwell, Mary
- Cantwell, Mary -- Childhood and youth
- Cantwell, Mary -- Travel
- Voyages and travels
- Manhattan (New York, N.Y.) -- Biography
- New York (N.Y.) -- Biography
- Bristol (R.I. : Town) -- Biography
- Bristol (R.I. : Town) -- Social life and customs
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books