Making the American team: sport, culture, and the Olympic experience
Includes bibliographical references (p. -252) and index. 1. Inventing the Sporting Republic -- 2. Athens, 1896: "See the Conquering Heroes Come" -- 3. Paris, 1900: Exhibiting American Athletic Nationalism -- 4. St. Louis, 1904: An "All-American" Olympics -- 5. The Limits of Universal Claims: How Class, Gender, Race, and Ethnicity Shaped the Sporting Republic -- 6. Athens, 1906, and London, 1908: Uncle Sam Was All Right -- 7. Stockholm, 1912: The Sporting Republic's Zenith -- 8. The Idea of a Sporting Republic: Athletic Technology, American Political Culture, and Progressive Visions of Civilization -- 9. The Decline of the Sporting Republic.
- LCC: GV706.35
- Dewey Decimal: 796/.0973
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: viii, 269 p. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- Sports -- Political aspects -- United States
- Nationalism and sports -- United States
- Sports -- Social aspects -- United States
- Olympics -- Philosophy
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books