Making Miss India Miss World: constructing gender, power, and the nation in postliberalization India
Includes bibliographical references (p. 229-234) and index. Beauty as cultural performance -- Women of substance? Situating self under the gaze -- Watching Miss World -- Str? ?akti and the rhetoric of women's empowerment -- Structural adjustment and "international standards" -- Miss India and national identity -- Conclusion: Miss India in the postliberalization candy store.
- LCC: HQ1743
- Dewey Decimal: 306.4/613
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xii, 245 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (cloth : alk. paper)
- Miss World Pageant
- Women -- India -- Social conditions
- Women in development -- India
- Beauty contests -- India
- Beauty contestants -- India
- National characteristics, East Indian
- Ethnicity -- India
- India -- Social conditions
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books