In May of 1832, Swiss artist Karl Bodmer (1809�93) set out with Maximilian Prince of Wied, a German aristocrat and scientist, on a 28-month journey along the Ohio and Missouri rivers. For Bodmer, the expedition resulted in more than 400 watercolors and sketches of Native American people, landscapes, animals, and plants. Engravings of many of the images were subsequently used to illustrate Travels in the Interior of North America, Prince Maximilian�s well-known historical account. Karl Bodmer is an homage to the great painter who captured for the rest of the world so many important natural details of early America. Presented here are all 81 engravings used to illustrate Maximilian�s book, and 9 of Bodmer's original watercolors and sketches, as well as photographs of artifacts collected during the legendary passage. Bodmer�s detailed work is among the most important documents of Native American culture from that region. Almost all of these images are held today in public collections in the United States, including large collections at the Newberry Library in Chicago, the Baltimore Museum of Art and the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha. Karl Bodmer is a richly illustrated volume that brings to life a monumental event in both art history and the history of early America.
- Dewey Decimal: 700
- Physical Description: 8.4"x10.1"x1.0"; 2.3 lb; 208 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2009-05-15
- Arts & Photography -- History & Criticism -- General
- Arts & Photography -- History & Criticism -- General AAS
- Arts & Photography -- Painting -- General
- Arts & Photography -- Schools, Periods & Styles -- General
- Arts & Photography -- General
- Arts & Photography -- General AAS
- History -- Europe -- Switzerland
- Nonfiction -- Foreign Language Nonfiction -- German
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books