"The core of Tolkien: Authors of the Century consists of three chapters that examine The Lord of the Rings as a linguistic and cultural map, as a twisted web of story, and as a response to the meaning of myth. It presents a truly unique argument to explain the nature of evil and also gives the reader a compelling insight into the complex interlacing of the many strands of the story as the narrative moves between characters, and of the unparalleled level of skill necessary to construct such a rich and complex story. The other chapters examine The Hobbit, explaining the hobbits' anachronistic relationship to the heroic world of Middle-earth, the fundamental importance of The Silmarillion to the canon of Tolkien's work, and an illuminating look at Farmer Giles, Leaf by Niggle and other lesser-known works in their connection to Tolkien's own life."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 329-336) and index.
- LCC: PR6039
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxxv, 347 p. ; 23 cm.
- Tolkien, J. R. R. -- (John Ronald Reuel),1892-1973 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Fantasy fiction, English -- History and criticism
- Middle Earth (Imaginary places)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books