Inventing the individual: Romanticism and the idea of individualism
Includes bibliographical references and index. Introduction / Larry H. Peer -- Romantic individualism and cultural/historical contexts -- Inventing the gothic subject: revolution, secularization, and the discourse of suffering / Diane Long Hoeveler -- Subverting individuality: Mary Robinson and polygraphs / William D. Brewer -- Romantic imperialism and the Hegelian march of history in Keats's 'On first looking in Chapman's Homer' / Ray Fleming -- Living landscapes: Schelling, Goethe, Shelley -- William Davis -- Individualism in Romantic art -- Individual transcendence or romantic thin air? The uplifting conclusions of Wordsworth's Prelude and Goethe's Faust, part two / Eugene Stelzig -- Performance communities: Franz Schubert's Die winterreise and the British romantics / Daniel H. Foster -- "The gloomy vanity of 'Drawing from self'": Byron and romantic self-fashioning / Jay Ward -- The ventriloquized self in Keats and Chatterton / Beth Lau -- Templates of romantic individualism -- Artistic anticipation and empathy writing: self-psychology and Hoffman's Der sandmann / Gabriele Dillman -- Werther and Harold: the literary articulation of the romantic subject / Lloyd Davies - Goethe's model of individuation / Ellis Dye -- Individuation, singularity, and agrammacality in Wordsworth / Joshua Wilner.
- LCC: PR590
- Dewey Decimal: 821/.709145
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xiii, 207 p. ; 23 cm.
- English poetry -- 19th century -- History and criticism
- Literature, Comparative -- English and German
- Literature, Comparative -- German and English
- Invention (Rhetoric) -- History -- 19th century
- Romanticism -- Great Britain
- Individualism in literature
- Romanticism -- Germany
- Romanticism in art
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books