In reckless hands: Skinner v. Oklahoma and the near triumph of American eugenics
In the 1920s and 1930s, thousands of men and women were sterilized at asylums and prisons across America because it was believed that criminality and mental illness were inherited. This is the disturbing, forgotten history of America's experiment with eugenics.
Includes bibliographical references ( p. 179-228) and index. The justice, the governor, and the dictator -- The brain trust -- Thoroughbreds -- Heat and love -- White trash -- Skinner's trial -- The Supreme Court in 1937 -- Science in a foreign mirror : 1937-1941 -- Deciding Skinner.
- LCC: KF224
- Dewey Decimal: 344.7304/8
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 240 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (hardcover)
- History -- Americas -- United States -- 20th Century -- General
- History -- Americas -- United States -- General
- History -- Americas -- United States -- State & Local -- Oklahoma
- Law -- Perspectives on Law -- Jurisprudence
- Law -- Perspectives on Law -- Legal History
- Professional & Technical -- Law -- Perspectives on Law -- Legal History
- Skinner, Jack T.,d.1977 -- Trials, litigation, etc
- Involuntary sterilization -- Law and legislation -- Oklahoma
- Involuntary sterilization -- Law and legislation -- United States
- Eugenics -- United States -- History
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books