Hegel and the Philosophy of Nature is an important new study of Hegel's profound philosophical account of the natural world. It examines Hegel's alleged idealism, his concepts of space and time, the conception of speculative geometry, his critical engagement with Kant's Metaphysical Foundations of Natural Science, his critique of Newtonian science, his concept of evolution, the notion of Aufhebung, and his infamous theory of planetary objects. The book confirms that, far from being surpassed by nineteenth- and twentieth-century scientific developments, Hegel's philosophy of nature continues to have great significance for our understanding of the natural world.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 311-340) and index. Introduction / Stephen Houlgate -- 1. The Very Idea of the Idea of Nature, or Why Hegel Is Not an Idealist / William Maker -- 2. The Logic of Hegel's Philosophy of Nature: Nature, Space and Time / Edward Halper -- 3. Space, Time and Matter: Conceiving Nature Without Foundations / Richard Dien Winfield -- 4. Hegel's Geometric Theory / Lawrence S. Stepelevich -- 5. How to Save the Phenomena: Meaning and Reference in Hegel's Philosophy of Nature / Brigitte Falkenburg -- 6. On Hegel's Early Critique of Kant's Metaphysical Foundations of Natural Science / Kenneth R. Westphal -- 7. Hegel's Appropriation of Kant's Account of Teleology in Nature / Daniel O. Dahlstrom -- 8. How Final Is Hegel's Rejection of Evolution? / Errol E. Harris -- 9. Hegel's Nature / Donald Phillip Verene -- 10. Hegel's Worm in Newton's Apple / Mauro Nasti De Vincentis -- 11. The Ontological Foundations of Hegel's Dissertation of 1801 / Olivier Depre. 12. Framing Hypotheses: Numbers in Nature and the Logic of Measure in the Development of Hegel's System / Cinzia Ferrini.
- LCC: B2949
- Dewey Decimal: 113/.092
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxvii, 354 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Hegel, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich,1770-1831 -- Contributions in philosophy of nature
- Hegel, Friedrich,1770-1831
- Hegel, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich
- Hegel, Georg, Wilhelm Friedrich
- Philosophy of nature
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books