Haunted journeys: desire and transgression in European travel writing
Includes bibliographical references and index. Uses of the Grand Tour: Boswell and his contemporaries -- The philosophe as traveler: Diderot -- Circumnavigation: Bourgainville and Cook -- Travel for travel's sake: Stendhal -- Darwin's passionate voyage -- The perverse traveller: Flaubert in the Orient -- Freud and travel -- The other Italy: D.H. Lawrence -- Political witness: T.E. Lawrence and Gide -- Travel for science's sake: Malinowski and Levi-Strauss -- Writing the Orient: Barthes -- Originary displacement and the writer's burden: V.S. Naipaul.
- LCC: PN56
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 341 p. ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (acid-free paper)
- European literature -- History and criticism
- Authors, European -- Travel
- Authors, European -- Journeys
- Travel in literature
- Exoticism in literature
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books