As computer technology develops, spoken dialogue is becoming ever-more important when interacting with a wide variety of technological devices, including Personal Digital Assistants, tablet PCs, and mobile phones. Using speech leads to more natural and user-friendly interfaces. More specifically, the authors of this volume contend that the experience of talking to our computerized gadgets may be greatly improved by dynamically adapting the system's dialogue interaction style to the users profile and emotional status. In this book, a novel approach that combines speech-based emotion recognition with adaptive human-computer dialogue modeling is described. With the robust recognition of emotions from speech signals as their goal, the authors analyze the effectiveness of using a plain emotion recognizer, a speech-emotion recognizer combining speech and emotion recognition, and multiple speech-emotion recognizers at the same time. The semi-stochastic dialogue model employed relates user emotion management to the corresponding dialogue interaction history and allows the device to adapt itself to the context, including altering the stylistic realization of its speech. This comprehensive volume begins by introducing spoken language dialogue systems and providing an overview of human emotions, theories, categorization and emotional speech. It moves on to cover the adaptive semi-stochastic dialogue model and the basic concepts of speech-emotion recognition. Finally, the authors show how speech-emotion recognizers can be optimized, and how an adaptive dialogue manager can be implemented. The book, with its novel methods to perform robust speech-based emotion recognition at low complexity, will be of interest to a variety of readers involved in human-computer interaction.
- Dewey Decimal: 428
- Physical Description: 276 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2009-12-01
- Computers & Internet -- Software -- Business -- Speech Processing
- Computers & Internet -- Web Development -- Web Design -- General
- Computers & Internet -- Web Development -- Website Architecture & Usability
- Computers & Internet -- General
- Professional & Technical -- Engineering -- Electrical & Electronics -- Electronics -- General
- Professional & Technical -- Engineering -- Electrical & Electronics -- General
- Reference -- Words & Language -- Linguistics
- Reference -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books