Genes and future people: philosophical issues in human genetics
Includes bibliographical references (p. 169-205) and index. 1.The Reach of Genes: Biology, Metaphysics, Morality.Genes and Disease.Biological and Personal Identity.Two Senses of "Life"How Genes Influence the Identities of Persons.Moral Implications --2.Genetic Information, Obligation, and the Prevention of Lives.Genetic Testing, Screening, and Information.Moral Asymmetry and Harm.Life Stages.Should Some Lives Be Prevented?Giving Priority to the Worse Off --3.Gene Therapy and Genetic Enhancement.Gene Therapy: Problems and a Paradox.Access and Allocation Issues.Genetic Enhancement.Negative and Positive Eugenics: Is There a Slippery Slope? --4.The Morality of Human Cloning.Biological Factors.Means and Ends.Cloning Body Parts.Eugenics Again? --5.Extending the Human Life Span.Cells and Senescence.An Evolutionary Trade-Off.Intergenerational Equality and Fairness.Prudential Concern About the Future.
- LCC: QH438.7
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: x, 216 p. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books