Gateway to Alta California: The Expedition to San Diego, 1769 (Sunbelt Cultural Heritage Books)
The story of this journey through northern Baja California?s unexplored wilderness to San Diego is actually two stories, crafted by artful and incisive historian Harry Crosby. The first begins well before the expedition commences and involves world events, politics, and the characters who were destined to forge this momentous march. The second is a daily record of the trek itself, told through first-person diary excerpts and the author?s own comments as he followed in their footsteps, mapping this historic route for the first time. Together, they show not only the hardships and victories of blazing the difficult trail, but the resolve of this company of fifty heroic men. Gateway to Alta California contains the author?s color maps, which provide a graphic statement of the journey into terra incognita, as well as his black-and-white photos of the largely unchanged terrain. Also included are lists of all Hispanic members of the expedition party?many identified here for the first time?plus pertinent information on their backgrounds and future lives (including those who continued on in July of 1769 with Gaspar de Portol�, seeking the port of Monterey).
- Physical Description: 8.9"x11.3"x1.0"; 244 pages; 2.1 lb
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2002-11-01
- Amazon.com -- History -- Americas -- Mexico
- Amazon.com -- History -- Americas -- United States -- State & Local
- Amazon.com -- History -- Europe -- Spain
- Amazon.com -- Travel -- United States -- States -- California -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books