The whole idea began with the dream to provide Garifunas with a clear, central voice and thereby a more powerful impact on issues of civic, economic and public policy. Therefore, in early 1991, brother s Jose Francisco and TomÃ¡s began to develop the idea of organizing what would be the first ever national meeting of the Garifuna people in the United States. Up until 1991, no Garifuna organization had managed to bridge the divisions in national heritage, political ideology, and social class. In their opinion, Garifunas were not perceived as credible participants in social, business or political circles. This book is a recollection of their accomplishments in empowering the Garifuna community in the United States, and by default Garifunas across Latin America. It contain the complete documentation of the first Garifuna Intercontinental Summit Meeting in 19991, as well as many white papers contributed by professionals conducting advanced studies about the Garifuna culture.
- Physical Description: 6.0"x8.8"x1.3"; 1.4 lb; 493 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2006-07-11
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books