Includes bibliographical references (p. 255-292) and index. Introduction: the paradoxical legacy of the federalists / Doron Ben-Atar and Barbara B. Oberg -- Constructing American national identity: strategies of the federalists / Rogers M. Smith -- Alexander Hamilton's alternative: technology piracy and the report on manufactures / Doron Ben-Atar -- Hamilton's second thoughts: federalist finance revisited / Herbert E. Sloan -- Radicals in the "western world": the federalist conquest of trans-Appalachian North America -- Andrew R.L. Cayton -- Federalism, the styles of politics, and the politics of style / David Waldstreicher -- Gender and the first party system / Rosemarie Zagarri -- The problem of slavery in the age of federalism / Paul Finkelman -- Ministers, misanthropes, and mandarins: the federalists and the culture of capitalism, 1790-1820 / Steven Watts -- Benjamin Franklin as weird sister: William Cobbett and federalist Philadelphia's fears of democracy / Keith Arbour -- "Steady habits" under siege: the defense of federalism in Jeffersonian Connecticut / Andrew Siegel -- From fathers to friends of the people: political personae in the early republic / Alan Taylor -- Afterword: the federalists--still in need of reconsideration / James M. Banner, Jr..
- LCC: E310
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: ix, 310 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (paper : alk. paper)
- Federal Party (U.S.)
- Political culture -- United States -- History -- 18th century
- Political parties -- United States -- History -- 18th century
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1789-1809
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books