Exploration in the World of the Ancients (Discovery & Exploration)
"Exploration in the World of the Ancients, Revised Edition" examines who the first explorers were and defines the geographic areas of Earth, showing when and how they were first populated by humans. Among Western historians, this period is considered to begin with the first writing systems, which would be about 3500 or 3000 BCE, and end about 500 CE. This book examines some of the earliest accounts of Egyptian and Mesopotamian explorations, as well as covering the Romans, Greeks, Phoenicians, and other ancient peoples. It concludes at the beginning of the Middle Ages, when much of Earth's lands and seas were 'known', but many civilizations remained unknown to one another. The coverage includes: The first watercraft; Herodotus's travels and his history of the world until his time; The lighthouse and library of Alexandria; Alexander the Great's accomplishments as a warrior and an explorer; and, China's and Japan's roles in exploration, including the spread of Buddhism.
- Dewey Decimal: 913
- Physical Description: 6.6"x9.3"x0.5"; 0.8 lb; 109 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2009-10-31
- Children's Books -- History & Historical Fiction -- Ancient
- Children's Books -- History & Historical Fiction -- Exploration & Discovery
- Children's Books -- People & Places -- Social Science -- General
- Children's Books -- Reference & Nonfiction -- General
- Reference -- General
- Teens -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books