Experiment and Design: aological Studies in Honour of John Coles (Oxbow Monographs Series)
John Coles is one of Europe's leading prehistorians, and has also been a major force int he development of British theoretical archaeology. His career has been associated with wetland archaeology, particularly the Somerset Levels Project. The uniquely preserved organic remains from these contexts have also led to his adventures in experimental archaeology. This coleection of papers reflects his wide-ranging interests. Contents include: Palaeolithic Archaeology: Radiocarbon dating and the origins of anatomically modern populations in Europe (P Mellars); The Chauvet cave dates ( J Clottes); The archaeology of Scotland: The Hidden landscape: the Neolithic of Tayside (G J Barclay); The stony limits - rock carvings in passage graves and in the open air (R Bradley); Evidence, North and South, in the earlier Neolithic (R J Mercer); The birth of the Scottish Bronze Age (J N Graham Ritchie); Drinking, driving, death and display: Scottish Bronze Age artefacts since Coles (A Sheridan). Bronze Age archaeology: Bronze Age landscapess in Southern Europe (G Barker); From Skane to Scotstown: some notes on amber in Bronze Age Ireland (G Eogan); Swords, shields and scholars: Bronze Age warfare, past and present (A Harding); Gold reflections (J J Taylor); Rise and fall: the deposition of Bronze Age weapons in the Thames valley and the Fenland (R Thomas); Bronze Age settlement in south Scandinavia - territorality and organisation (H Thrane); Experimental Archaeology: Getting to grips with music's prehistory: experimental approaches to function, design and operational wear in excavated musical instruments (G Lawson); Experimental ship archaeology in Denmark (O Crumli-Pedersen); Wood-tar and pitch experiments at Biskupin Museum (W Piotrowski); The nature of experiment in archaeology (P J Reynolds). Wetland Archaeology: Somerset and the Sweet conundrum (B Coles); Paths, tracks and roads in early Ireland: viewing people rather than the trees (B Raftery); Underwater medieval sites on Lake Paladru (Isere, France): from rescue excavations to cultural project (M Colardelle & E Verdel). Epilogue: Of weapons and wetlands (T Champion). J M Coles - a bibliography. (Oxbow Books, June 1999)
- Dewey Decimal: 930
- Physical Description: 8.3"x11.8"x0.7"; 2.0 lb; 200 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 1999-12-01
- History -- Europe -- England -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Archaeology -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books