Ethnicity, identity, and music: the musical construction of place
Includes bibliographical references and index. Music, ethnicity, and identity / Martin Stokes -- Thoughts on Celtic music / Malcolm Chapman -- The role of music in the creation of an Afghan national identity / John Baily -- National anthems : the case of Chopin as a national composer / Zdzislaw Mach -- Macunaíma's music : national identity and ethnomusicological research in Brazil / Suzel Ana Reily -- Place, meaning, and exchange : Black Sea Turks in Ireland / Martin Stokes -- Identity, place, and the "Liverpool sound" / Sara Cohen -- "This land is our märr (essence), it stays forever" : the yothu-yindi relationship in Australian aboriginal traditional and popular musics / Fiona Magowan -- Music, literature, and etiquette : musical instruments and social identity from Castiglione to Austen / Hélène La Rue.
- LCC: ML3799
- Dewey Decimal: 780/.89
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: x, 212 p. ; 22 cm.
- Edition Info: (paper) :$15.95
- Music and anthropology
- Identity (Philosophical concept)
- Culture -- Role of -- Music
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books