Ethical and Philosophical Consideration of the Dual-Use Dilemma in the Biological Sciences
The dual-use dilemma arises in the context of research in the biological and other sciences as a consequence of the fact that one and the same piece of scientific research sometimes has the potential to be used for harmful as well as good purposes. Discoveries that may lead to important advances in science and medicine might therefore also facilitate development of biological weapons of mass destruction. Scientists should be aware of the ways in which their well-intentioned research could be misused by others - and they should sometimes avoid research projects when the potential for harmful misuse is great. Policy makers must make tough choices about the extent to which the dual-use nature of research might justify increased oversight, regulation, and perhaps even censorship of science. This book examines the kinds of life-science experiments that give rise to the dual-use dilemma and provides philosophical analysis of the ethical issues and policy options surrounding dual-use research. Though the dual-use dilemma is an ethical issue, the vast majority of literature on the topic thus far has been written by scientists and security experts: this is the first book-length treatment of the topic by professional ethicists. It also challenges, and offers an alternative perspective to, the hugely influential U.S. National Research Council position on the dual-use dilemma.
- Dewey Decimal: 170
- Physical Description: 6.1"x9.2"x0.2"; 0.3 lb; 76 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2008-07-18
- Medicine -- Administration & Policy -- Public Health
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- Ethics & Morality
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- General
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- General AAS
- Professional & Technical -- Medical -- Administration & Medicine Economics -- Public Health -- General
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biology -- General
- Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biology -- General
- Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biology -- General AAS
- Science -- History & Philosophy -- General
- Science -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books