Stretching from "Aaron, Sam, Arizona pioneer" to "Zutacapan, Acomo pueblo chief," the three-volume Encyclopedia of Frontier Biography profiles approximately 4,500 frontier pioneers and Native Americans. Dan L. Thrapp's comprehensive work will interest scholars, researchers, and general readers curious about the figures who developed, defended, decorated, and devilized the American West. All the famous ones are here: Volume I (AF) includes Billy the Kid, Daniel Boone, Calamity Jane, George Custer, Buffalo Bill, Cochise, and John C. Fremont, among others. There are also entries for worthies less well known: Big Nose Kate, Nellie Cashman, Scott Cooley, to cite a few. Even Gary Cooper and other actors who portrayed westerners are sketched in. Thrapps richly detailed biographies are continued in Volumes II (GO) and III (PZ). Thrapp has included seventeenth- and eighteenth-century figures in both New France and New England, as well as the trans-Appalachian country, but the majority are nineteenth-century men and women who discovered, settled, fought for, or simply lived in the raw lands west of the Mississippi River.
- Dewey Decimal: 920.078
- Physical Description: 6.0"x8.9"x1.1"; 1.6 lb; 524 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 1991-08-01
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Regional U.S. -- West
- History -- Americas -- United States -- General
- History -- General
- Reference -- Encyclopedias -- Antiques & Collectibles
- Reference -- Encyclopedias -- History
- Travel -- Reference & Tips -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books