Includes bibliographical references and indexes. Section one:Conditions of risk.Extent and consequences of risk in U.S. education /Deborah Land and Nettie Legters --Resiliency among students at risk of academic failure /Hersh C. Waxman, John P. Gray, and Yolanda N. Padrón --Issues in educating African American children and youth /Robert J. Jagers and Grace Carroll --Issues in educating Hispanic students /Yolanda N. Padrón, Hersh C. Waxman, and Héctor H. Rivera --Section two:Educating at-risk students from preschool through high school.Educating preschool and kindergarten children at risk /Barbara A. Wasik, Mary Alice Bond, and Annemarie Hindman --Intentional school : effective elementary education for all children /Robert E. Slavin --Essential components and next steps for comprehensive whole school reform in high poverty middle schools /Robert Balfanz, Allen Ruby, and Douglas Mac Iver --Promising solutions for the least productive American high schools /James M. McPartland ... [et al.] --Section three:Looking beyond traditional practices for at-risk students.Involving families and communities in educating children and youth /Mavis G. Sanders ... [et al.] --Toward universal literacy /Robert Rueda and Ellen McIntyre --Technology, education and at-risk students /Richard Durán --Section four:Systemic supports for improving at-risk schools.Title I : the evolution and effectiveness of compensatory education /Geoffrey D. Borman --New roles for career and technical preparation programs in educating at-risk students /James R. Stone III and Marisa Castellano --Systemic supports for schools serving students placed at risk /Sam Stringfield and Amanda Datnow.
- LCC: LC4802
- Dewey Decimal: 371.28/0973
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xiv, 296 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (hbk.)
- Special education
- Risk perception
- Dropouts -- Prevention
- Student assistance programs
- Problem youth -- Education
- Juvenile delinquents -- Education
- School management and organization
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books