Duchamp and the aesthetics of chance: art as experiment
Originally published: Kunst als Experiment : Marcel Duchamps "3 Kunststopf-Normalmasse". Munich : Deutscher Kunstverlag, 2006. Includes bibliographical references and index. Translated from the German. Includes bibliographical references and index. The idea of the fabrication -- The 3 standard stoppages in the context of the large glass. The pane of glass as a materialized plane intersecting the visual pyramid -- Depersonalizing straight lines. The thread as a metaphor of the visual ray -- The 3 standard stoppages as paintings. Gravity and line : the "rephysicalization" of the ideal straight -- Duchamp's application of the new standard measures -- Painting of chance. Art as an experiment -- 1936 : Duchamp transforms the painting into an experimental setup. On the title : Roussel's "method" -- An excursion into the world of shop signs and windows -- Humorous application of non-Euclidean geometry. A brief digression on Tu m' -- The crisis of the scientific concept of truth -- Pataphysics, chance, and the aesthetics of the possible -- Radical individualism.
- LCC: NB553
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xvi, 214 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Edition Info: (cloth : alk. paper)
- Arts & Photography -- Artists, A-Z -- ( D-F ) -- Duchamp, Marcel
- Arts & Photography -- Artists, A-Z -- General
- Arts & Photography -- History & Criticism -- General
- Arts & Photography -- Schools, Periods & Styles -- Modern
- Arts & Photography -- Schools, Periods & Styles -- General
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- Aesthetics
- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- General
- Duchamp, Marcel,1887-1968 -- 3 standard stoppages
- Duchamp, Marcel,1887-1968 -- Criticism and interpretation
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books