Culture and the king: the social implications of the Arthurian legend: essays in honor of Valerie M. Lagorio
Includes bibliographical references and index. Valerie M. Lagorio : a tribute / Mildred Leake Day -- Introduction : the social implications of the Arthurian legend / Martin B. Shichtman and James P. Carley -- Marie de France's Arthurian Lai : subtle and political / David Chamberlain -- Lévi-Strauss in Camelot : interrupted communication in Arthurian feudal fictions / Donald Maddox -- Arthur in Culhwch and Olwen and in the romances of Chrétien de Troyes / Armel Diverres -- The knight as reader of Arthurian romance / Elspeth Kennedy -- The stanzaic Morte Arthur : the adaptation of a French romance for an English audience / Edward Donald Kennedy -- Was Merlin a Ghibelline? Arthurian propaganda at the court of Frederick II / Donald L. Hoffman -- A grave event : Henry V, Glastonbury Abbey, and Joseph of Arimathea's bones / James P. Carley. The speaking knight : Sir Gawain and other animals / Felicity Riddy -- Politicizing the ineffable : the Queste del Saint Graal and Malory's "Tale of the Sankgreal" / Martin B. Shichtman -- "The prowess of hands" : the psychology of alchemy in Malory's "Tale of Sir Gareth" / Bonnie Wheeler -- How many roads to Camelot : the married knight in Malory / Maureen Fries -- Spenser for hire : Arthurian history as cultural capital in The faerie queene / Laurie A. Finke -- Arthur before and after the revolution : the Blome-Stansby edition of Malory (1634) and Brittains glory (1684) / David R. Carlson -- Reluctant redactor : William Dyce reads the legend / Debra N. Mancoff -- The snake in the woodpile : Tennyson's Vivien as Victorian prostitute / Rebecca Umland -- Feminism, homosexuality, and homophobia in The mists of Avalon / James Noble -- Camelot 3000 and the future of Arthur / Charles T. Wood.
- LCC: PN685
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: vi, 324 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (CH : Acid-free)
- Arthurian romances -- History and criticism
- Arthurian romances -- Adaptations -- History and criticism
- Literature, Comparative -- Themes, motives
- Civilization, Medieval, in literature
- Kings and rulers in literature
- Conduct of life in literature
- Social ethics in literature
- Middle Ages in literature
- Medievalism -- History
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books