Includes bibliographical references and index. Introduction / Justin Cruickshank -- Pt. I. The Self: method and ethics -- 1. The private life of the social agent: what difference does it make? / Margaret S. Archer -- 2. Are critical realist ethics foundationalist? / Nick Hostettler and Alan Norrie -- Pt. II. Social science and critique after the linguistic turn -- 3. Feminism, critical realism and the linguistic turn / Caroline New -- 4. Critical realism: the difference it makes, in theory / Jose Lopez -- 5. Critical realism and scientific method in Chomsky's linguistics / Peter E. Jones -- Pt. III. Method, politics and policy -- 6. Underlabouring and unemployment: notes for developing a critical realist approach to the agency of the chronically unemployed / Justin Cruickshank -- 7. New Labour, school effectiveness and ideological commitment / Robert Willmott -- 8. What race means to realists / Bob Carter -- 9. Cultural studies: towards a realist intervention / Gary MacLennan and Peter Thomas -- Pt. IV. Political economy and globalism -- 10. Naturalism and economics / Paul Lewis -- 11. A critical realist approach to global political economy / Heikki Patomaki -- 12. Explaining global poverty: a realist critique of the orthodox approach / Branwen Gruffydd Jones.
- LCC: B835
- Dewey Decimal: 149/.2
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xi, 246 p. ; 25 cm.
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books