Creating critical classrooms: K-8 reading and writing with an edge
"This book for elementary and middle school teachers and literacy methods courses articulates a theory of critical literacy instruction. Critical literacy practices encourage students to use language to question the everyday world, interrogate the relationship between language and power, analyze popular culture and media, understand how power relationships are socially constructed, and consider actions that can be taken to promote social justice."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references and index. Ch. 1. Overview: Why Do We Need an Instructional Theory of Critical Literacy? -- Ch. 2. Personal and Cultural Resources: Using Life Experiences as an Entree into Critical Literacy -- Ch. 3. Cultural Resources: Using Popular Culture to Promote Critical Practice -- Ch. 4. Using Children's literature to Get Started with Critical Literacy -- Ch. 5. Critical Social Practices: Disrupting the Commonplace Through Critical language Study -- Ch. 6. Critical Social Practices: Interrogating Multiple Perspectives -- Ch. 7. Critical Social Practices: Focusing on the Sociopolitical -- Ch. 8. Critical Social Practices: Taking Action to Promote Social Justice -- Ch. 9. Taking a Critical Stance: Outgrowing Ourselves -- Ch. 10. Invitations for Students -- Classroom Resources: An Annotated List of Picture Books, Chapter Books, Videos, Songs, and Websites.
- LCC: LB1576
- Dewey Decimal: 818.309
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxx, 360 p. : ill., photos ; 26 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Language arts (Elementary) -- Case studies
- English language -- Study and teaching (Elementary) -- Case studies
- Critical pedagogy -- Case studies
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books