Correlating sobornostconversations between Karl Barth and the Russian Orthodox tradition
The diaspora of scholars exiled from Russia in 1922 offered something vital for both Russian Orthodoxy and for ecumenical dialogue. Under new conditions, liberated from scholastic academic discourse, and living and writing in new languages, the scholars set out to reinterpret their traditions and to introduce Russian Orthodoxy to the West. Yet, relatively few have considered the works of these exiles, particularly insofar as they act as critical and constructive conversation partners. This project expands upon the relatively limited conversation between such thinkers with the most significant Protestant theologian of the last century, Karl Barth. Through the topic and in the spirit of sobornost, this project charters such conversation. The body of Russian theological scholarship guided by sobornost challenges Barth, helping us to draw out necessary criticism while leading us toward unexpected insight, and vice versa. Going forward, this volume demonstrates that there is space not only for disagreement and criticism, but also for constructive theological dialogue that generates novel and creative scholarship. Accordingly, this collection will not only illuminate but also stimulate interesting and important discussions for those engaged in the study of Karl Barth's corpus, in the Orthodox tradition, and in the ecumenical discourse between East and West.
Issued as part of UPCC book collections on Project MUSE.; Includes bibliographical references (pages 343-371) and index.; Foreword : changing the subject / Rowan Williams -- part I. Historical theology. The conciliar fellowship of the church in Karl Barth and modern Orthodox theology / Paul Valliere -- The limits of the ecclesiology of faith and order : rethinking in a postdenominational way the foundations given by K. Barth and G. Florovsky / Antoine Arjakovsky ; translated by Tracy L. Russell -- part II. Systematic theology. "Offenbarung, Philosophie, und Theologie" : Karl Barth and Georges Florovsky in dialogue / Matthew Baker (1977-2015) -- "A supertemporal continuum" : Christocentric Trinity and the dialectical reenvisioning of divine freedom in Bulgakov and Barth / Brandon Gallaher -- One person, many persons : adding up the personality disorder in CD I/1 SS8-9 / John C. McDowell -- Some reflections on election and apophasis : Barth and Lossky / Scott A. Kirkland -- Analogy in Karl Barth and Orthodox theology / Andrew Louth -- part III. Moral and political theology. "Soborny" spirituality : spirit and spirituality in Berdyaev and Barth / Ashley Cocksworth -- Symphonic theology and the cacophonous world : Barth and Solovyev on political theology / D. Stephen Long and Richard J. Barry IV -- The politics of sophia in the socialism of Barth / David J. Dunn and Joshua B. Davis -- Struggling together toward human being : sobornost and the ethics of Karl Barth / Ashley John Moyse -- Afterword / Met. Kallistos Ware.
- LCC: BX4827.B3
- Dewey Decimal: 230
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 1 online resource (1 PDF (xl, 386 pages))
- Edition Info: ;
- Barth, Karl, -- 1886-1968 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Berdia͡ev, Nikolaæi, -- 1874-1948 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Bulgakov, Sergiæi, -- 1871-1944 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Florovsky, Georges, -- 1893-1979 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Lossky, Vladimir, -- 1903-1958 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Solovyov, Vladimir Sergeyevich, -- 1853-1900 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Orthodox Eastern Church -- Doctrines -- History -- 20th century
- Church and the world
- Electronic books
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books