Choices: Coping Creatively with Personal Change (Little Book. Big Idea.)
It is resilience that gives us the power to be genuinely free and to decide, throughout our lives, who and what we are, what we hope to do and become, and what moral considerations will shape our choices.--Dr. Frederic Flach, M.D.Create Strength from StressWe have all had times in our lives where it all seems to fall apart, and we find the need to redefine ourselves, our goals, our ambitions, in the face of new challenges. Many view these experiences as negative; it is easy to see why, they are often painful times. Yet falling apart, as Dr. Frederic Flach argues in his classic book, Choices, is very important because it gives us the opportunity to put ourselves back together in a new and creative way. Choices address the topic of stress, but more importantly, the way in which stress provides the basis for our growth as individuals. There is no doubt that at some point in our lives each of us will feel stressed, perhaps because of a specific event, or perhaps in an ongoing way simply due to our lifestyle. Adapting to this stress, seeking new ways to manage it and cope with it without merely ignoring it, is often the sign of a healthy individual. There is a unique kind of stress however, that makes us change, which forces us to bend and renew ourselvesor break under its pressure. It is this stress which Dr. Flach argues is vital to maturity, and is integral to growth. Whether it is the stress of finding a job after college, of middle-age, of the end of a marriage or relationship, it is the opportunity to grow, and is in fact the very cause of our growth. Choices emphasizes that it is important to deal with the stress of life, not to put it off, not to suppress it, or stifle it, because only through dealing with this stress, and adapting to it, can you truly progress. While avoiding it or running away from it can seem easier, there can be long term consequences for you or the ones you love.Choices offers insight and wisdom into how stress affects our lives, physically and psychologically, and provides useful information for finding inspiration in these stressful situations; inspiration to change, and inspiration to grow. In addition, Dr. Flach presents the strategies and solutions that he employed as a psychiatrist to help people deal with stress, in an extremely accessible and relevant way. The process of falling apart allows us the opportunity to put our lives back together, and make new, better choices. Getting through this process, however, can be extremely challenging. Choices offers guidance and insight into dealing with stress, and is a valuable addition to any collection.
- Dewey Decimal: 155
- Physical Description: 4.8"x7.3"x0.8"; 0.6 lb; 216 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2009-01-27
- Health, Mind & Body -- Self-Help -- Personal Transformation
- Health, Mind & Body -- Self-Help -- Stress Management
- Health, Mind & Body -- Self-Help -- General
- Health, Mind & Body -- Self-Help -- General AAS
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books