Chocolate Nations: Living and Dying for Cocoa in West Africa (African Arguments)
Chocolate is one of the world's most everyday luxuries, the very word conjuring up a hint of the forbidden and a taste of the decadent. Every year, more chocolate is sold in the West even as obesity and health fears grow. Yet the story behind the chocolate bar is rarely one of luxury. The crop provides a lifeline for millions of farmers in West Africa, which produces about 70% of the world's cocoa and is crucial to the economies and politics of Ghana and Ivory Coast. Chocolate Nations examines the causes of farmer poverty, placing the story of these producers in the context of the commodity producers' global battle to make more money from their crops. Mixing economic analysis with the human stories of the African rebels, advertising executives and industry insiders, this book tells the compelling story of how chocolate bars get on supermarket shelves.
- Dewey Decimal: 338
- Physical Description: 5.4"x8.3"x0.7"; 0.6 lb; 176 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2011-01-15
- Business & Investing -- Economics
- Cooking, Food & Wine -- Baking -- Chocolate
- Nonfiction -- Foreign Language Nonfiction -- German
- Nonfiction -- Politics
- Science -- Agricultural Sciences
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books