Based on the false promise of widespread prosperity, communities across the U.S. have embraced all brands of economic development at all costs. In Louisiana, that meant development interests turning wetlands into shipping lanes. By replacing a natural buffer against storm surges with a 75-mile long, obsolete canal that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, they guided the hurricane into the heart of New Orleans and adjacent communities. The authors reveal why, despite their geographic differences, California and Missouri are buildingquite literallytoward similar destruction. Too often, the U.S. growth machine generates wealth for a few and misery for many. Drawing lessons from the most expensive natural disaster in American history, Catastrophe in the Making shows why thoughtless development comes at a price we can ill afford.
- Dewey Decimal: 363.349220976090511
- Physical Description: 6.1"x9.0"x0.9"; 0.9 lb; 224 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2009-09-08
- Business & Investing -- Economics -- Development & Growth
- Business & Investing -- Economics -- Economic Policy & Development
- Business & Investing -- Economics -- Natural Resources
- Business & Investing -- Popular Economics -- Policy & Current Events
- History -- Americas -- United States -- State & Local -- Louisiana
- History -- Americas -- United States -- State & Local -- Mississippi
- Nonfiction -- Current Events -- Disaster Relief
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology -- General
- Science -- Earth Sciences -- Atmospheric Sciences -- Hurricanes
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books