This popular casebook, through the selection of classic and modern cases, provides an excellent tool for teaching students the common law foundations of the criminal law and modern statutory reform, including the Model Penal Code. Along the way, the casebook considers modern controversies (e.g., shaming; punishment, rape law, self-defense by battered women, euthanasia, the role of culture in determining culpability), and creatively uses literature (e.g., examining insanity through Edgar Allen Poe's The-Tell Tale Heart) and even brain teasers to confront (as the Preface states) the Big Questions . . . that philosophers, theologians, scientists, and poets, as well as lawyers, have grappled with for centuries.Professor Stephen Garvey (Cornell) joins the casebook beginning with this new edition. The Sixth Edition, as in the past, includes some new cases, as well as updates in the notes that bring current issues of criminal law to the fore.
- Dewey Decimal: 345
- Physical Description: 1072 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2012-10-08
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books