Canonic texts in media research: are there any? should there be? how about these?
Includes bibliographical references and index. Critical research at Columbia : Lazarsfeld's and Merton's "Mass Communication, Popular Taste, and Organized Social Action" /Peter Simonson and Gabriel Weimann --Herzog's "On Borrowed Experience" : its place in the debate over the active audience /Tamar Liebes --Subtlety of Horkheimer and Adorno : reading "The Cultural Industry" /John Durham Peters --Benjamin contextualized : on "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction" /Paddy Scannell --Redeeming consumption : on Lowenthal's "The Triumph of the Mass Idols" /Eva Illouz --Community and pluralism in Wirth's "Consensus and Mass Communication" /Eric W. Rothenbuhler --Audience is a crowd, the crowd is a public : latter-day thoughts on Lang and Lang's "MacArthur Day in Chicago" /Elihu Katz and Daniel Dayan --Towards the virtual encounter : Horton's and Wohl's "Mass Communication and Para-social Interaction" /Don Handelman --Harold Adams Innis and his Bias of Communication /Menahem Blondheim --Canonic anti-text : Marshall McLuhan's Understanding Media /Joshua Meyrowitz --Retroactive enrichment : Raymond Williams's Culture and Society /John Durham Peters --Canonization achieved? : Stuart Hall's "Encoding/Decoding" /Michael Gurevitch and Paddy Scannell --Afterthoughts on Mulvey's "Visual Pleasure" in the age of cultural studies /Yosefa Loshitzky.
- LCC: P91.3
- Dewey Decimal: 302.23/07/2
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: ix, 265 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (hard : alk. paper)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books