Includes bibliographical references and index. Introduction: Mediocre Elites Elected by Mediocre Peoples /Ralf Dahrendorf --1.The Populist Challenge to Elitist Democracy in Europe /Jack Hayward --2.'Losing Touch' in a Democracy: Demands versus Needs /Robert E. Lane --3.Freedom from the Press /William Miller, Annis-May Timpson and Michael Lessnoff --4.From Representative to Responsive Government? /Jean Charlot --5.The European Union, the Political Class, and the People /Vernon Bogdanor --6.Political Parties and the Public Accountability of Leaders /David Hine --7.Elite-Mass Linkages in Europe: Legitimacy Crisis or Party Crisis? /Rudy B. Andeweg --8.Organized Interests as Intermediaries /Jeremy Richardson --9.Mediating between the Powerless and the Powerful /Gianfranco Pasquino --10.Public Demands and Economic Constraints: All Italians Now? /Nicholas Bosanquet --11.The Fluctuating Rationale of Monetary Union /James Forder and Peter Oppenheimer --12.Has Government by Committee Lost the Public's Confidence? /William Wallace --Conclusion: Has European Unification by Stealth a Future? /Jack Hayward.
- LCC: JN94
- Dewey Decimal: 320.94/09/049
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: viii, 265 p. ; 23 cm.
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books