This book sets new standards for the documentation of water transport, and introduces styles of boat-building which are unlikely to be found outside the sub-Continent. A fascinating and accessible read.
Book Cover; Title; Contents; List of illustrations; List of tables; Contributors; Acknowledgements; Introduction; Aims and methods; The reverse-clinker boats of Bangladesh; The reverse-clinker boats of Orissa and West Bengal; The smooth-skinned traditional inland boats of Bangladesh; The masula A sewn plank surf boat of India's Eastern Coast; The madel paruwa of Sri Lanka A sewn boat with chine strakes; The vattai fishing boat and related frame-first vessels of Tamil Nadu; Hide boats of the River Kaveri, Tamil Nadu; A hydrodynamic evaluation of four types of boat; The way ahead. Appendix: Reverse-clinker planking and hulc planking patterns, worldwideBibliography; Glossary; General Index; Geographical Index; Index of South Asian Ship, Boat and Raft Types; Electronic reproduction.Available via World Wide Web.
- Dewey Decimal: 623.8200954
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 333 p.
- Edition Info: (electronic bk.)
- Boats and boating
- Maritime anthropology
- Maritime anthropology - South Asia
- Electronic books
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books