"Gillett focuses on general and specific problems of clinical practice, particularly as they affect the physician-patient relationship. The author then addresses ethical problems related to both the end of life, including euthanasia, and the beginning of life, such as embryo and stem cell research. This book will be of interest to those in medical fields, to students and scholars of philosophy, and to lay readers interested in the profound ethical dramas played out in hospitals and doctors' offices."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references and index. 1. The case of empty head : cultures, values and bioethics -- 2. Hippocrates' children -- 3. What is medical truth? -- 4. Getting over informed consent -- 5. Listening to the silences -- 6. Surgeons, patients, and unnecessary holes in the head -- 7. When good doctors do bad things -- 8. Is AIDS the postmodern illness? -- 9. Healthy bodies, the medical panopticon, and alternative medicine -- 10. The ending of life -- 11. Ethics in limbo -- 12. Euthanasia, the pause, and the last rights -- 13. Ethics, embryos, and stem cell research -- 14. Save the life of my child -- 15. Joanna May revisited : the cloning debate -- Epilogue : mildly philosophical remarks -- App. A. On metaethics -- App. B. Narrative metaphysics -- App. C. The idea of a form.
- LCC: R724
- Dewey Decimal: 174.2
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 309 p.
- Edition Info: (hbk. : alk. paper)
- Medical ethics
- Clinical medicine -- Moral and ethical aspects
- Medicine -- Philosophy
- Ethics, Clinical
- Bioethical Issues
- Philosophy, Medical
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books