Includes bibliographical references and index. 1. At war with civil rights and civil liberties : an introduction / John F. Stack, Jr. and Thomas E. Baker -- Pt. I. Context -- 2. Perspectives on liberty, security, and the courts -- Liberty and security / Stephen G. Breyer -- Preserving life and liberty / John Ashcroft -- 3. The war on terrorism and civil liberties / Jules Lobel -- 4. Politics and principle : an assessment of the Roosevelt record on civil rights and civil liberties / Peter Irons -- Pt. II. The aftermath of 9/11 -- 5. Indefinite material witness detention without probable cause : thinking outside the Fourth Amendment / Michael Greenberger -- 6. Constitutional safeguards after 9/11 / Louis Fisher -- Pt. III. The search for perspective -- 7. Voting rights and other "anomalies" : protecting and expanding civil liberties in wartime / Mark A. Graber -- 8. Emergencies and the idea of constitutionalism / Mark V. Tushnet -- 9. The terrorism detention cases of 2004 / Edited by Thomas E. Baker -- Introduction : Rumsfeld v. Padilla -- Rasul v. Bush -- Hamdi v. Rumsfeld.
- LCC: KF4749
- Dewey Decimal: 342.7308/5
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: x, 246 p. ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Civil rights -- United States
- National security -- Law and legislation -- United States
- War and emergency powers -- United States
- War on Terrorism, 2001
- Constitutional law -- United States
- Rule of law -- United States
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books