Artificial Intelligence for Games, First Edition (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology)
Creating robust artificial intelligence is one of the greatest challenges for game developers. AI is increasingly important to games, and a game's commercial success is often dependent on the quality of the AI. However, AI is still not well understood by many developers, and it is often tacked on late in the development process. There remains tremendous room to improve the quality of AI in games. In his new book, Ian Millington brings extensive professional experience to this problem. A game developer since 1987, he was founder of Mindlathe Ltd., at the time the largest specialist AI company in gaming. Ian shows how to think about AI concepts from the start as an integral part of the game play, describes numerous examples from real games, and explores these ideas in-depth through detailed case studies. Plentiful C++ source code examples are included on the CD-ROM to illustrate implementation. He goes further to introduce many techniques currently unknown to developers, and discusses types of AI specific to different genres of games, such as driving or sports games.* The first comprehensive, professional tutorial and reference to implement true AI in games written by an engineer with extensive industry experience.* Walks through the entire development process from beginning to end.* Includes examples from over 100 real games, 10 in-depth case studies, and CD-ROM with sample code.
- Physical Description: 1000 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2006-02-28
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books