Archipelago: the islands of Indonesia: from the nineteenth-century discoveries of Alfred Russel Wallace to the fate of forests and reefs in the twenty-first century
"Published in association with the Nature Conservancy." Includes bibliographical references and index. Prologue / Edward O. Wilson -- 1. The Evolution of a Naturalist. The Naturalist's Cabinet -- 2. Preparing for the Archipelago. Wallace's Biological Laboratory -- 3. Borneo: Encountering the Orangutan. Evolution's Panoply. The Wild Man of the Forest -- 4. Bali, Lombock, and Celebes: Wallace Draws the Line. Wallace's Vision of Continents. Sulawesi: Island Enigma -- 5. The Moluccas: Illness and Inspiration. Marine Biodiversity. Darwin, Wallace, and Precedence -- 6. The Islands of Ke, Aru, and New Guinea: Land of the Bird of Paradise. Ecology and Behavior of Birds of Paradise -- 7. Java, Sumatra, and Home: Realizations -- 8. From the Malay Archipelago to Indonesia: Spanning the Centuries. Conservation of Indonesia's Biodiversity -- Epilogue / John C. Sawhill.
- Dewey Decimal: 508.598
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xii, 254p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Edition Info: (alk. paper)
- Wallace, Alfred Russel,1823-1913 -- Travel -- Malay Archipelago
- Naturalists -- England -- Biography
- Zoogeography -- Malay Archipelago
- Natural history -- Malay Archipelago
- Evolution (Biology) -- Malay Archipelago
- Natural selection
- Wallace, Alfred Russel,1823-1913 -- Journeys -- Malay Archipelago
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books