Arab-Israeli Military Forces in an Era of Asymmetric Wars (Stanford Security Studies)
The reality of the Arab-Israeli balance now consists of two subordinate balances: Israel versus Syria and Israel versus the Palestinians. The book analyzes these two balances in detail and their impact on defense planning in each country and on the overall strategic risk to the region as a whole. It covers military developments in each of six statesEgypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, and Palestineand provides an analytical view with charts and tables of how the changing natures of the military and political threats faced by each is impacting its military force readiness and development. The book has the most comprehensive data on past, current, and future military force structure currently available, drawn from the widest range of sources. Responding to the most recent of events in the region, this book is the first to deal with the effects on the Arab-Israeli military balance of the strategic uncertainty created by the Iraqi insurgency and the Iranian nuclear program. It also studies how the Gaza pullout, the Syrian withdrawal from Lebanon, the changing political landscape in Israel, and the threat of nuclear proliferation are having impacts on the Egyptian-Israeli and Jordanian-Israeli peace accords and the prospects for a settlement between the Palestinians and Israelis. The roles of Hezbollah, Hamas, and Palestinian Islamic Jihad are analyzed in light of the changing political landscape in both Israel and Palestine. Given the role of Syria in the Palestinian-Israeli affairs, the book also explores the ways that internal instability in Lebanon could escalate into a regional conflict.
- Dewey Decimal: 355.00956
- Physical Description: 6.1"x9.1"x1.2"; 1.3 lb; 432 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2008-03-12
- History -- Middle East -- Israel
- History -- Military -- Strategy
- History -- Military -- Weapons & Warfare -- General AAS
- History -- Military -- General
- History -- Military -- General AAS
- History -- Military Science
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- Freedom & Security -- International Security
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- International -- Relations
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- General
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- General AAS
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Political Science -- Levels of Government -- Federal Government
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books